Ferry passengers and other users of the Marion Street Pedestrian Bridge should prepare for detours this weekend as the viaduct demolition contractor Kiewit will close the bridge Saturday and Sunday, March 30-31. This is a safety precaution while Kiewit removes parts of the viaduct decks above and around the bridge. Marion Street beneath the viaduct will also be closed for about a week.
- Tuesday morning, 3/26: Marion Street closes between Alaskan Way and Western Avenue
- Saturday morning, 3/30: Pedestrian bridge closes beneath the viaduct
- Sunday night, 3/31: Pedestrian bridge reopens
- Tuesday, 4/2: Marion Street reopens
Kiewit will remove parts of the viaduct deck above and around the pedestrian bridge (“slotting” the deck), while leaving the girders and columns in place. WSDOT and Kiewit know that closing the bridge is disruptive to Colman Dock travelers and so have been refining their plans to make this as short of a closure as possible. Removing this portion of the viaduct now will speed up Kiewit’s overall work schedule and reduce construction disruption this summer. After this short closure, the bridge will stay open until the new, temporary bridge being built on Columbia Street is ready to open this summer.
Free, ADA-accessible shuttle while bridge is closed
Kiewit will run a shuttle van while the bridge is closed. The shuttle is free and for all users, although priority will be given to people with limited mobility or who require extra accommodation. The shuttle will stop near each end of the Marion Street Pedestrian Bridge.
- Operating hours: 6 a.m. – 2 a.m. (during Colman Dock operating hours)
- Frequency: Every 20–30 minutes
- Colman Dock stop location: West side of Alaskan Way north of Marion Street
- First Avenue stop location: East side of First Avenue between Marion and Columbia streets
The shuttle van will drive a loop between Colman Dock and the intersection of First Ave and Marion Street. The route is below:
Other pedestrian detour options while the pedestrian bridge is closed:
- Madison Street and Columbia Streets will both be open to pedestrians between Alaskan Way and First Avenue.
- The pedestrian bridge stairs at Western Avenue and the elevator at Post Avenue will both be open.